Latest News

How to Get Your CSCS Green Card

Posted on Monday, 8th August 2022

How to Get Your CSCS Green Card

This week we are taking a look at the green CSCS Labourer Card and covering any queries you may have regarding the cards themselves, how to get one, and what qualifications you may need.

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) helps construction sites, employees and employers improve the standard of safety by providing proof that workers on site are appropriately qualified. While there are multiple CSCS Card types available for different sectors, jobs and experience, today we will focus on the green CSCS Labourer Card. *Please note: The Labourer Card replaced the Construction Site Operative Card as of 1st July 2014.

Who needs a Labourer/CSCS green card?

Unlike the Red CSCS Cards mentioned in our previous blog, there is only one green CSCS Labourer Card. The Labourer Card is designed for a construction labourer who has been employed to carry out various manual labour jobs on construction sites. It allows workers to perform tasks on sites at entry-level positions and is valid for 5 years. If you are working in any type of labouring environment, employed in the physical construction and/or destruction of a building setting and infrastructure, you can apply for the green CSCS Card.

What does a Labourer card do?

The Labourer card ensures that the card holder possesses the minimum required qualifications to work on the construction site and is competent with basic health and safety. While CSCS Cards are not legally required on all construction sites, the vast majority of employers do require them in order to allow workers on site. Have a look at the list of different CSCS Card Types to make sure the Labourer Card is for you.

Image shows two construction Labourers

What are the green CSCS card requirements?

In order to apply for your green CSCS Labourer Card you must be 16+ years old and have certain qualifications.

  • You must have passed the Image shows green CSCS Labourer cardCITB Health, Safety and Environment test within the past two years and hold one of the following;
  • An RQF Level 1/SCQF Level 4 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment. (This is a lifetime qualification)
  • An SCQF Level 5 REHIS Elementary Health and Safety Certificate.
  • The NOCN/CSkills Awards Construction Health & Safety (F/618/0738) unit.
  • There are alternative qualifications; the most popular one we deliver is the CITB Health & Safety Awareness Course.  This is a one day course, valid for 5 years. We deliver this course either as classroom training at venues around the UK, or as online learning via Zoom for those working remotely, or for those that prefer the convenience of online learning.

Other alternative qualifications that are currently accepted by CSCS can be found here.

How much is a green CSCS card / How do I get a green CSCS Card?

In order to apply for a CSCS green Card, you must have passed the Operatives CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) test. You may be wondering how to apply for the CSCS after the HS&E test... when booked directly with the CITB, the HS&E test costs £22.50 and you can find all the information on how to book here. The CSCS Card itself costs £36 in addition to the HS&E test and can be paid for over the phone.

If you wish to apply for a CSCS card, it is recommended to use the CSCS online service. It's quick, easy and always available.

There is also a handy step-by-step video on how to apply for a CSCS card below as well as a handy guide for help with online applications, which you can find here.

If you don't have an online CSCS account, then you can apply over the phone by calling 0344 99 44 777.

Once your application is approved, your CSCS card will be posted out to you the next working day; online applications are processed quicker. If your CSCS card does not arrive within 10 days then contact CSCS.

If you are an employer wanting to apply for CSCS cards on behalf of your workers, you can apply online using the Employer Application Form. You can do this by selecting the 'Employer' checkbox when registering your account. You can now process single card applications as well as multiple applications. Bulk applications are only available online - not by telephone.

How do I renew or replace my CSCS card?

Every CSCS Card has a limited lifespan and will expire, but the quickest way to renew your card is via the CSCS online application service. Cards can be renewed from 6 months before, to 6 months after the expiry date shown on the card. The expiry date of a renewed CSCS card will be the expiry date of the original CSCS card plus the lifespan of the card (full T&Cs can be found here). Remember, you must have passed the HS&E test within the last two years.

You can also replace a lost, stolen or broken CSCS card via the online application service. If you do not have an account then call CSCS on 0344 994 4777. Please ensure that you have your CSCS registration number or your National Insurance number with you.

CITB Site Safety Plus courses

As the 1 Day CITB Health & Safety Course is probably the most popular course we offer for those wanting a green CSCS Labourers card, it’s worth mentioning the scheme offers an excellent framework for career development, with training courses for all levels of the workforce. The scheme follows a natural progression for those that are new to the industry (Health & Safety Awareness), progressing through to those about to have supervisory responsibilities (SSSTS), and then advanced levels for those with management responsibilities (SMSTS).

Here at Essential Site Skills, we offer a multitude of CITB Site Safety Plus Courses to help aid career progression.

Can I do a Health and Safety Awareness Course Online?

To help workers and employers who now prefer to achieve their CITB Health & Safety Awareness course remotely, ESS provide additional means for workers to get the training they need to apply for their green labourer's card.

Our popular CITB Health and Safety Awareness course is offered as online learning via Zoom. We have a wide range of dates which you can search via the course page, or head over to our 'Training Calendar' to view all upcoming courses.

What progression opportunities are available after a green CSCS card?

Now that you have your green CSCS card and are gaining valuable site experience, what can you do next?

Image shows Blue CSCS Skilled Worker CardThere are so many opportunities and paths to take within the construction industry. A lot of people choose to continue their education with a plant training course such as CPCS or NPORS, followed by an NVQ qualification to prove competence as a fully skilled plant operator. Alternatively, they may prefer to gain new skills and train as a craftsperson in a particular trade such as Civil Engineering, Roofing, Plastering, Roadbuilding, the list goes on. Whatever their chosen career path, gaining new skills and qualifications can increase career progression indefinitely once passed.

Once you have completed your training and NVQ qualifications you can look to apply for a Blue CSCS Skilled Worker Card for craft operatives, or Blue CPCS Competent Operator card for plant operators.

You may wish to continue and progress onto a supervisory or management role, gaining better job security and higher salary opportunities. We offer qualifications right from Level 1 up to Level 7 Construction Senior Management, so whatever your level or requirements we can help with career development.

At Essential Site Skills, we offer an assortment of NVQ routes and training courses to help progress your career, take a look through our NVQ Index, or search via the homepage.

Any other queries about the Labourer card?

If you are still unsure if the green CSCS Labourer Card is for you or if you have any questions, contact us for advice and career guidance. Essential Site Skills provide a wide range of NVQs and training courses which will support your application for a CSCS Card. Feel free to give us a call on 0115 8970 529 or email one of our helpful training advisors at [email protected].

Want to find out more?

Contact Us